Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Gay Marriage Brigade

A lot has been said about whether or not gay marriage should be legalized, especially here in the state of California where we've had a fevered election on the legality of it. I for one am neutral on the idea of gay marriage, but there are a few items that must be satisfied before I'd ever vote for any proposition that allowed gay marriages to be legal. Without further due, they are...

1) I will only support the legalization of gay marriage if it also includes the legalization of polygamy. Yes, polygamy may be "icky" to some people, just as homosexuality is to others. If one group is going to be allowed to marry, then both should be.

2) There must be verbage that public schools are not allowed to discuss or teach homosexuality as a "normal" life-style. To even the field, I would also remove the teaching of heterosexuality in public schools too. These topics should be taught by parents not the school district or the government.

If those two bullet items were satisfied then I could see myself voting in favor of a gay marriage ballot initiative. One other less important, and emotional reason that I didn't vote for the gay marriage initiative is that I did not like the histrionics of the SF mayor Gavin Newsome and the rogue state courts which attempted to legislate from the bench. I believe voting against the gay marriage initiative served as a message to those parties that what they did was unacceptable.

I do not believe that the battle over gay marriage should be lumped into the civil rights or discrimination categories. I don't see gays as being discriminated against in our society. They were never enslaved, nor asked to sit in the back of the bus, or drink from a separate water fountain like African Americans were at one time. Isn't it ironic that the number one demographic voting against legalizing gay marriage in the state of California were African Americans and Latinos, two groups that one would think would be heavily supportive of a group that was being discriminated against. What I believe the gay community and its supporters are really after is to have their life-style considered "normal" within mainstream society. They care more about this and are using the rallying cries of "civil rights" and "discrimination" as a proxy for their attack on mainstream society.

No comments: